Sunday, May 3, 2015

When Visual Studio is Missing Target Frameworks

A week or so ago, I noticed that I had a bunch of old versions of Visual Studio installed. Since I certainly don't need VS from 2008 or 2010 (I have 2013 Pro), I removed out the extra installations in the normal Control Panel way. However, I found that removing VS2010 seems to have removed my ability to target version 4.0 of the .NET Framework. That's a serious problem, because Abiathar must be built for .NET 4.0 (woo, Windows XP compatibility). When I open a solution involving those projects, Visual Studio asks me to either change the project target version or cancel the project load. The ".NET Framework 4.0" option has of course vanished from the target framework drop-down.

I'm currently in the middle of a repair on the Visual Studio 2013 installation. That can be accessed by starting the VS2013 uninstaller in Programs and Features, then choosing Repair on the start screen. Hopefully this will work, otherwise I may need to do a full reinstall.

No comments:

Post a Comment