Sunday, May 24, 2015

Windows 10: "Who owns this computer?"

Today I upgraded all my Windows 10 stuff - the server and the normal client/PC OS - to the latest build, number 10041, called Windows Server Technical Preview 2 for the server. (It has also become known that said server OS will be called Windows Server 2016.) The server update is very nice, and I look forward to playing with it more.

When upgrading to build 10041 (Pro edition) on the client via WDS, I ran into an interesting screen while going through the OOBE. It asked me "who owns this computer?", me or my organization. I did some Googling, and apparently it will try to do a bunch of Microsoft account and OneDrive stuff if you say you own the device. I didn't test that; it blue-screened (KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED) while I was deciding.

When I logged in after it came back up, I chose "my organization" because I wanted it to be domain-joined. (WDS should have already done that, so I'm not sure what was going on.) However, it then showed me a screen of text explaining when and under what circumstances I should join it to a domain. Again, I thought that was weird, because it already was domain joined.

I guess they didn't test this build's interaction with WDS all that much. I still don't know what those screens were talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment