Saturday, May 9, 2015

Windows Automatic Update Settings Also Control Windows Defender

A few weeks ago, I finally got tired of automatic restarts wrecking my workspace while I was AFK, so I changed my Automatic Updates settings to download updates, but not install them until I told it to. This has been working well.

The funny thing is that Windows Defender also seems to be controlled by that setting. Rather than updating itself automatically (which doesn't require a restart), it throws up a notification balloon saying that virus/spyware protection is out of date. It doesn't update until I click that balloon, which opens Windows Defender, which causes it to start the definition update installation.

I really wish there was a separate setting for Windows Defender, or even a setting to allow auto-installation only of updates that don't require restarts. Currently, I have to click a little balloon once or twice a day to keep my malware definitions up to date.

Maybe I'll mess with the local Group Policy to prevent the automatic restart when I'm logged on.

No comments:

Post a Comment