Monday, July 20, 2015

Visual Studio 2015

Visual Studio 2015, the newest version of Microsoft's Visual Studio IDE, has been fully released today! Download it at the official site. I installed it as soon as I heard the news.

It's a fairly large download and took about a half hour to install. There are quite a few optional components (version control systems, and stuff for mobile devices), most of which I chose not to install. It required a reboot, but that might be because I chose to install the Hyper-V emulator for Android devices. Once all was said and done, about 7GB of hard disk space had been newly consumed.

I launched it and it looked fairly similar to Visual Studio 2013. I can definitely see the Windows 10 art style making its way into the IDE, but besides a few icons and the lowercase menu items, its chrome looks the same as VS2013. I opened a simple project and everything seemed the same as in VS2013 except that cast keywords (CInt) appear in a faded purple/blue. Right-clicking in the code window reveals a Quick Actions entry, which did absolutely nothing when I clicked it, and some entries for quickly managing Imports statements. I may post new observations as I continue to work with the IDE.

VS2015 also came with the .NET Framework 4.6 Targeting Pack, so I'll be able to compile for .NET 4.6 from VS2013 if I really need to use my Professional installation for anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment