Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Dell PowerEdge Server Drive Setup

After getting the PowerEdge server's memory configuration correct, I was faced with another challenge: drive setup. Even though I put a drive into the SCSI array, the XenServer installer (on a CD) did not see any hard drives; a message printed by the BIOS (or maybe some other firmware component) before transferring control to any boot program indicated that no logical disks were configured. I was very confused, because I could see that the drive was connected - its power light was on.

It turns out that in addition to the standard BIOS setup utility, the server has a RAID controller setup utility/firmware as well. I looked in there, and it reported that it did see the physical drive, but that no virtual drives were configured. After a couple minutes of poking around in the integrated help articles, I discovered that the RAID controller only presents virtual views of the disks to the OS as physical drives. I created a new virtual drive that consisted of only the one physical drive, and everything was good. I might try out the hardware RAID capabilities later.

No comments:

Post a Comment