Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Unexpected Connections Between Windows

I'll be out of communication when this goes live - this post is pre-scheduled.

I really like Google Chrome; it is an excellent browser. But it has one infelicity that nettles me from time to time: all open Chrome windows are connected in some invisible way. (Well, invisible to a normal user. I'm sure they have pipe connections or TCP sessions or mutexes or something between each other.) That normally wouldn't be a problem, because the close button in the upper-right works as expected; it closes the window on which I clicked it.

However, because of the pen-and-touch that I use as a mouse (which is amazing), I frequently accidentally end up clicking on and dragging down from the hamburger/menu icon. I notice my mistake immediately, and drag the mouse cursor down and off to avoid clicking anything, but most of the time I release on an entry anyway (activating it), and that entry is usually Exit at the very bottom. That's a shame, but it's my mistake. The problem is that clicking the Exit menu item in any Chrome window closes all the Chrome windows.

So, even if I meant to click Exit to close one window (maybe I was looking through the menu options and decided that I didn't need this window anymore), any other windows - even ones not at the top of my mind but needed for some other in-progress task - get closed too. Fortunately, Chrome has a really nice way to recover an entire window, but I would still appreciate a confirmation before all browser windows get closed.

1 comment:

  1. A couple options are listed here: http://superuser.com/questions/704779/how-to-enable-confirmation-alert-before-closing-chrome-tabs

    ReplyDelete