Saturday, September 26, 2015

Office Document Editing "Blocked due to Policy Settings"

Today I received a strange message from Word when I opened an old (Office 95) document. It placed the document in Protected View and said something to the effect of "editing blocked due to policy settings." I had not configured any Local Group Policy settings, and the computer was not joined to a domain, so the word "policy" threw me off a little. I was not super pleased that Word refused to let me edit my document, so I poked around a little and discovered the File Block Settings.

The File Block Settings are a tab of the Trust Center, which is accessible via the Trust Center tab of Word Options. An array of checkboxes controls whether or not Word will enable the editing of certain file types. By default, it seems, Word 95, Word 6.0, and Word 2 documents are uneditable. I'm not sure what makes those versions of Word so dangerous, but unchecking the boxes removes the restriction.

The File Block Settings in Trust Center

No comments:

Post a Comment