Monday, September 28, 2015

When Context Menus Open Slow

On several otherwise-fast Windows computers, I have noticed a delay of one or two whole seconds between when I right-click the desktop or a folder and when the context menu appears. Though two seconds might not sound like a lot, it really throws me off when something that should be instantaneous takes any noticeable amount of time.

The culprit for the slowness is virtually always the same: one of the entries is added by a program that takes a while to initialize. That misbehaving program is almost always a management application for graphics drivers, and the reason for its slowness is almost always that it is written for a high-impact framework like Java or .NET.

Relevant: Is it okay to write in-process shell extensions in managed code?

The AMD Catalyst Center is notorious for creating context menu slowness, but I've experienced it with nVidia's equivalent. Incidentally, I have never once wanted to use the context menu item that brings up graphics card settings, and I certainly don't need it there whenever I right-click any folder ever.

Uninstalling the management program (but not the drivers!) will add speed to context menus.

No comments:

Post a Comment