Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Robotics - Mentor

I'll be out of communication when this goes live - this post is pre-scheduled.

The FTC robotics season will be starting in a few weeks, so my school is preparing the teams. I am going to be very busy this year with a heavy schedule of classes, the required junior year volunteering project, and an online course that will be starting in a month. Since I don't know whether I'll be able to attend the robotics meetings and still keep up with classes, I've been waiting to confirm my membership on a team. Seeing that I hadn't completed the team application, the faculty adviser for the team asked me if I wanted to be a mentor this year.

Mentors are there to provide direction for FTC teams, handling logistics and keeping people on track. I can do that, I think, especially with the help of the mentor's manual FTC published this year. Mentors shouldn't do the actual robotics work for the team, so that's a disadvantage for me, but my experience should still be useful. There's no restriction that a mentor has to only mentor one team, so I'll be able to help the veteran team (of which I would be a member if I was on a team) and the team of newbies, which probably need it more.

That arrangement sounds pretty good to me. I'll be able to attend meetings when I can - it won't be a problem at all if I miss some - and I'll still be useful to both teams. I accepted the offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment