Thursday, February 9, 2017

Let's Encrypt and cPanel shared hosting

I decided to finally go through the process of manually generating a Let's Encrypt certificate for Namecheap shared hosting. I have no real Linux machine in my control, so I spun up an Ubuntu 16.04 VM. I then followed this guide to manually requesting a certificate. It was less difficult than I expected; I just had to create a file with the challenge content on the server before pushing the last button in the letsencrypt utility. Then I moved the resulting files fullchain.pem and privkey.pem out of the /etc/letsencrypt/live/mydomain.com folder (with sudo, because that directory is protected).

cPanel has an SSL/TLS section that allows the management of certificate/key files. PEM files are just text, so I copied and pasted their content into the certificate and private key creation text boxes, as appropriate. Finally, I assigned the key pair to the Keen Modding domain. It worked - connections to the forum can now be secured!

Now I just need to repeat the certificate generation for subdomains and my other sites.

No comments:

Post a Comment