Friday, February 3, 2017

Namecheap explicitly does not support Let's Encrypt

I received a tip in regard to yesterday's post reminding me of Let's Encrypt, which is a really great and responsibly managed free TLS-certificate-granting project. Unfortunately, my shared hosting provider (Namecheap) does not give me root access with my current plan, which the normal Let's Encrypt program needs. Some shared hosting providers work with Let's Encrypt, but Namecheap is on the list of providers who explicitly do not plan to support it.

I can get SSH access (non-root) by request, so that might let me get free certificates onto the machine. I could always manually copy over a Let's Encrypt cert, but I would much rather have a setup that doesn't require me to set up another machine or VM. I did find this article and this other GitHub repository, which look promising. I'll see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment