Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Robotics - Literally Nobody

Today, there was only one other robotics person at the meeting today, and he was on the other team. He was at least a builder, so he actually was able to do some things. The other team's robot is actually going pretty well: it moves and almost has a game-specific mechanism hooked up.

I helped replace the other robot's back wheels with omni-wheels and got them hooked up to motors for four-wheel drive. While he tinkered with their ball input device, I got to work coding the four-wheel drive and improving the software gearing.

My lack of experience with C caused some issues here. It took me about a half an hour to debug a for-loop, and it turned out that my initial understanding of loops was correct. The problem was that the Robot-C joystick driver starts numbering buttons at 1, not 0 like everything else in C. After I fixed that, testing power multipliers for the "gears" was easy.

There is now a header file for dealing with four-wheel drive so that my team can easily integrate it if we choose to go with such a drive arrangement. I added that and my improvements to the software gearing to the GitHub.

No comments:

Post a Comment