Friday, April 18, 2014

Fixing the VideoPad Audio/Video Corruption Glitch

Today, while recording the newest LP video of KeenRush's Episode Smile, I stumbled upon a really nasty - yet minor - glitch in NCH VideoPad, the editor I use to put stuff together. The last time I tried to record such things, I misconfigured my microphone, resulting in blank audio. This time, I ran a better sound check before going ahead with the full recording.

To my horror, the clip again had blank audio - and also blank video for the last 30 minutes (which was super weird because I only recorded for about 15). Fortunately, though, the other three clips of roughly equal length I recorded were fully intact. This got me thinking, and I noticed that (due to OBS's naming method) the butchered file had the same name as the last one to receive butcherage. It also was able to be loaded a lot faster than the others.

I then went into Windows Media Player to see whether it could play the file. It did, with audio and all, finding the correct length. Renaming the file fixed the problem in VideoPad. Apparently, it caches video files by file names for quick loading in other projects, storing the data in some shared database. It could be easily fixed by adding a check for file size or date modified.

Long story short: If VideoPad is loading messed-up versions of your video clips, try renaming them to bypass the cached entry.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my god thank you so much this just saved me a bunch of time

    ReplyDelete