Saturday, April 5, 2014

HigherPower - A Huge Mess

With the switch to the Gradle build system and all the changes in vanilla Minecraft that came with version 1.7, HigherPower's code base became a huge mess of errors. I spent a couple hours today going through the at-least-sixty files and trying to get the project to build. Right now, I'm not concerned very much with things actually working; I just want it to run and not crash.

Most of the fixing was just mindless prepending of the letter I onto Icon and IconRegister. There were of course a bunch of things concerning the move towards string IDs, but I just had to change some variable types and some method calls.

What was really terrible, however, was the removal of public iterators in NBT tag objects. (They also, for some unimaginable reason, moved tag names into part of the parent tag's child map. This makes my life considerably more difficult when serializing.) It is no longer possible to just get a general list of all the subtags in an NBT list tag. I can get the number of items in the list, but I can't pull one out without knowing what type of things it contains - the methods are all specialized.

Also, the move to Netty for network handling has totally broken my advanced data machines, so I ended up commenting out pretty much everything about those. I'll deal with that later, once most everything else is actually functional again.

Registering items is mandatory now, so I had to put that registration instruction in the constructor for my items. I'm very happy that I have a class for such things. There are a lot of missing textures, but I can fix that by renaming the files to suit the new style.

No comments:

Post a Comment