Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Uploading Images to Google Maps from iPad

Here's another thing I found that makes me very upset. There is no straightforward workflow for getting a picture from an iPad onto Google Maps as an attachment. Instead of allowing you to upload a picture like any sensible thing that allows you to have pictures at all, Maps requires that you post a link to a public image file somewhere. Fine, I'll just... wait, what? How can I get a picture public from an iPad?

My first thought was to use the public folder in Dropbox. I have a Dropbox app, and a public folder, and a way to get pictures into the Dropbox public folder. Therefore, I have public picture files that Google will accept. Simple logic, yes? Nope. The link produced by the Dropbox app when I ask it to give me a public link is some sort of weird private sharing key that isn't really an image and therefore not acceptable by Maps.

Alright, I'll get this Google+ app thing and put pictures in it and then presumably Google will let me add an image from one of my albums because it is in fact my album. I can get to the Photos section in the app, and I see every photo I've uploaded to my blogs, but there does not appear to be a way to actually add an image.

I give up. I connected my iPad to a computer, which can actually do things on the Web.

No comments:

Post a Comment