Sunday, April 6, 2014

HigherPower - Network Time

Well, I decided it's finally time to look at some Forge tutorials and get HigherPower's custom packets and network functionality back together. Getting the infrastructure for it set up was a breeze; I love Netty! I still need to figure out how to actually move my data into The New Way, but I'm guessing NBT serialization hasn't changed terribly much.

Instead of doing what I planned to do, I tested some considerably less related stuff. The Furnace Sensor, one of the most difficult things to implement, surprisingly didn't have any huge problems. It did cause a crash, but that was because I had some something obviously silly with Block objects that caused a null pointer exception. After repairing that, the sensor worked just like before. (Even the incredibly inconvenient GUI continued to be inconvenient!)

The Lawn Mower, possibly the most hacked-up glob of code I've ever written, is another story. For some reason, it decided to pull stacks of pumpkin seeds, redstone torches, and various flowers out of nowhere. Inserting null checks at various places fixed that, but the machine remained the super buggy thing it always had been. While trying to tweak that, I did somehow cause it to create a huge, writhing, expanding wall of lawn mower blocks whenever one started moving. I fixed that and also the old bug that made it not drop its contents when destroyed while moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment