Thursday, April 24, 2014

FMod - No Metafile

I know I've been saying for a while that I need a metafile format for Abiathar to make everything better, but I will not. I have changed my mind, sentient beings can do that.

Instead, I have figured out a very simple way to get around the issue of directory nonportability: use the residing directory of the binder instead of something recorded in that file. That line will remain in the format and will be saved, but ignored when opening (this is to maintain compatibility with old versions).

To deal with binary resources, I'll just add another file. I realize this may not be the most optimal solution, but I am not a big software company and, to be honest, wrangling a few files is not that hard. I'll still be able to have a "compile" command, which with this strategy might also have less redundancy that it would with a giant metafile.

No comments:

Post a Comment