Monday, April 28, 2014

Success in the Land of Windows 95 VM Creation

In the last post, I lamented the difficulties of setting up VMWare Player to simulate Windows 95. Today, I have succeeded. I gave up on the DOSBox idea, but I found a link to a bootable floppy image from an amazing article/tutorial. I mounted that as a floppy drive in VMWare, kept my Windows 95 installation CD in, followed the DOS to 95 upgrade instructions from VMWare, put in my OEM key, and had Windows 95 setup going! Of course, I forgot to follow the instruction that said "critical!" and therefore butchered the Ethernet drivers and a bit of other stuff, but it seems to boot into 95 fine.

So, to recap, this is what you need to get Windows 95 running in VMWare:

  • VMWare Player
  • Windows 95 setup resources CD
  • DOS boot disk
  • Windows 95 product key
I'll redo the setup following the instructions properly tomorrow, but for now, I am very happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment