Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Test for Obvious Features

I just downloaded and installed ICY Hexplorer, a free hex editor/viewer/manipulator/analysis thing that the Malwarebytes blog authors seem to like. When I opened a file with it, I got something like this:


Yep, the menus indicate that it has the awesome features the Malwarebytes analysts were using. But... it's super zoomed out. (That's how it was when I started it.) I can't change it. The help file doesn't mention zooming. People on the internet haven't figured out how to zoom. Apparently it displays at a legible scale for some people, but not for me or the other poor people on the internet asking about it.

How is it possible that something great like this could be released without a key feature like zooming? The answer is lack of beta testing, probably. The author, though obviously good at what he does, didn't check to see what other people would do with it or what might happen with other resolutions or display settings.

Moral of the story: have other people check your programs on other computers to make sure that obviously necessary features are present.

No comments:

Post a Comment