Friday, February 28, 2014

FMod - Auto Update

One feature of Piriform apps that I really like is the ability to check for updates automatically. I took that idea and expanded on it for Abiathar, packaging an auto-update client as a resource in the File Emitter and to be used on startup.

When Abiathar is opened, it gets a file from my public Dropbox giving the newest version. If that version is not equal to the one stored in the local executable, it emits the update client and closes. The updater then looks for an instruction file in a folder in my Dropbox named for the new version. It downloads the necessary files, launches the new Abiathar, and closes. Upon reloading from having updated, Abiathar deletes the update client.

It's a very nice system that I think will simplify the dissemination of updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment