Tuesday, July 22, 2014

FMod - Error Reports are Useful

You know the dependency file processing error reporter I wrote about last time? It's already worth it. I received one of its reports from the Bio Menace modder on the K:M forums, and quickly figured out why he was only able to use Abiathar on Bio Menace 2.

In my initial explanation on what to do with all the steps in the New Project Wizard, I glossed over the opening of the GFXINFOE file because it opens the open-file common dialog; I provided no picture of that because the dialog is unnecessarily huge (thanks, Microsoft). What I did provide a picture of, however, was an example result after pressing the From GFXINFOE button as directed. He had copied down the settings that had been loaded for BM2 and tried to use them for the other episodes. Since they have different EGA layouts, that broke in the "loading graphics" section.

Without the ability to see the attempted dependency file, I never would have figured out what was causing the problem. I made a good investment here!

No comments:

Post a Comment