Friday, July 18, 2014

Resolving the Mysterious Minecraft Missing Texture Issue in Eclipse

I was doing a little bit of messing around on the Wither mod idea, and I ran into a very strange problem. I had added an item texture (than honestly looks pretty awful, but whatever) and registered it with the item, but it was not displaying in-game. Instead, I got the purple-and-black checkerboard of missing textureness. I consulted many tutorials; I had registered and placed it correctly.

No, the issue was something far more obscure. Since I had placed the PNG file manually in the src/main/resources/assets/<mod>/textures/items folder without having the package folder expanded in Eclipse, that resource was not copied into the temporary build directory. This is possibly the strangest of such systems I have ever seen from an IDE, but refreshing the Project Explorer (press F5 with it focused) fixed the problem. Yay, non-obvious and undocumented issues!

No comments:

Post a Comment