Monday, August 17, 2015

Abiathar Online - Functional Tile Palette

Today I added four lines of code to the mouseHappened function to handle clicks on the tile palette. That means it is now possible to choose tiles from the tilesets and place them in levels, the main activity in level editing. Sadly, switching between the level and tilesets is rather slow; Abiathar-style caching will almost certainly be necessary.

While I was not writing those four lines, I was researching binary file management for the saving component, which is pretty important for level editors. Dropbox still doesn't support data URLs in the Saver, the Datastore API which looked nice is deprecated, and the Core API is super complicated. It seems that I'll need an echo server to bounce data off of, but I cannot find a public server that does what I need.

Therefore, I have started researching PHP. PHP as a language is the exact opposite of everything I find reasonable, but there are ten zillion free hosting sites for PHP and none for ASP.NET, which I would strongly prefer. Fortunately, I'll only need to write a single PHP script to parse a URL- or Base64-encoded query string and respond with a binary file containing that data.

No comments:

Post a Comment