Saturday, August 29, 2015

Weirdness with Windows Update and Windows 10 Upgrade

While messing around with Windows Update (on my Windows 8.1 Pro machine) today, I noticed some strange behavior with the Windows 10 upgrade mechanism that got installed a few months ago along with the Get Windows 10 app.

Whenever I manually select some updates to install (not including the Win10 upgrade of course), the progress indicator retains the "Downloading Windows 10" caption/style. Once the updates finish, the Windows 10 upgrade files start downloading again, despite them having already been downloaded and my having canceled my reservation. Fortunately, a press of the "Stop download" button saves the day, or at least the network utilization.

I have tried hiding the Windows 10 upgrade entry in the available updates list by right-clicking it and choosing "Hide update" as I would do with any other update, but it does not seem to have an effect. The checkbox next to it grays out, but next time I open the dialog, even after a reboot, the entry is back.

Hopefully I won't accidentally upgrade to Windows 10 before I'm ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment