Friday, October 6, 2017

Acquiring Let's Encrypt certificates on Windows

For a while, I've been getting my Let's Encrypt certificates (in manual mode) in an Ubuntu VM or in the Bash on Ubuntu on Windows environment. Some recent update, however, seems to have broken the BoUoW approach, and since I didn't want to hassle with a VM, I looked for an alternative method. I remembered that someone mentioned ACMESharp, a PowerShell client for Let's Encrypt. It comes with a very helpful quick start guide. I used the HTTP challenge with the manual handler. The only issue I encountered was that Update-ACMEIdentifier with a specified -ChallengeType always returned "pending" even after waiting a while, but supplying only the challenge alias worked as expected, returning a "valid" status very quickly. I was then able to generate a certificate and get it signed.

No comments:

Post a Comment