Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Keen Modding Live - Still working on Dreams

As a follow-up to the main "start level 1 immediately" patch, Levellass helpfully provided another that skips the B800 text screen at the beginning of Keen Dreams. With the assistance of IDA, I figured out how to disable the Extra Keen At mechanic. Now I just need to determine how to zero the score and lives when restarting. I suspect that will involve a call to the function that sets up the blank game state. To prepare for that, I had to hunt down a version of KDRPATCH that supports relative values - the one available from KeenWiki doesn't even support word literals; I had to split the words in Levellass's patches into bytes to make them work with my copy. Eventually I found the updated version bundled with Abiathar. I have no idea where I got that from originally, but it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment