Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Introducing Keen Modding Live!

Modern Keen mods are getting more and more complex, so releases are infrequent. I think it would be really neat if people felt free to release small creations, especially single levels. It would also be good if players didn't have to fiddle around with extraction and DOSBox setup - optimally, they would just find the level in a repository and click to play. Such a system could also open doors for collaboration by keeping track of a chain of inspiration/editing.

For a while, I've been doing a little bit of poking around to make sure that these ideas are feasible. Though I'm pretty busy now, I think it'll be possible to build it, albeit slowly and at low priority. The site will be called Keen Modding Live. Currently it's possible to register and log in with Keen Modding forum credentials, upload Keen 1 or Keen 4 levels, and play uploaded levels. To allow for level editors to facilitate easy upload, I'm building a web API. To make sure the API is actually useful, and to avoid duplicating effort, my plan is for the web site to use client-side script to hit those same API endpoints.

No comments:

Post a Comment