Saturday, October 14, 2017

Keen Modding Live - More live episodes

Levellass very helpfully provided all the Vorticons patches I was still missing for Keen Modding Live, so today I finished off Keen 2 by editing the map Keen sprite and world map level to be completely black while the real level is loading. Armed with that experience and all necessary patches, live-ifying Keen 3 was a breeze. All Vorticons games are now permissible episodes for upload and play. Currently the only way to install new episodes into the system is to upload some files directly into the server and then manually tweak the database to register them, but it's not terribly difficult and I won't have to do it very often. There was a tiny wrinkle in the database management - the "tell me about all your episodes" API endpoint returns the episodes sorted by their ID in the database, and the JavaScript in the upload page just displays the episodes in the order it gets them. Since I added Keen 4 out of order, that presents the episodes in a bizarre order. So I added a sprinkle of JavaScript to sort them by DisplayName.

With Vorticons handled, I moved on to the remaining Galaxy episodes. Using my previously fashioned live version of Keen 4 as a guide, I browsed for the necessary patches from KeenWiki. I had to make my own tedlevel difficulty setter once again, but my Keen 4 version of that made me perfectly comfortable figuring it out with IDA. With that, Keen 5 is live.

No comments:

Post a Comment