Friday, January 10, 2014

FMod - Fudge

With essentially all the basic formats readable and writable by FMod, I decided to take a little break from this low-level stuff and write some GUI code, putting all these classes to use. Since the community has no Keen Dreams editor, that's what I'm doing. I can draw on my experience from CFEdit, a program with a perfectly functioning GUI but nothing to use its levels.

So far, I have a very nice layout and a menu system with a lot of calls to methods that may or may not be working perfectly. Using Visual Studio's ability to embed resources in the assemblies, I can package a default version of all necessary files for ease of starting new projects. With my ArrayStream, I can read embedded game files just as well as file system files.

There's also a pretty impressive framework for rendering the three planes and I even have a way to composite nybble character pictures to display infoplane values, though that may not be necessary in Dreams. However, I can't actually render anything yet because of a strange ArgumentException being thrown somewhere in System.Drawing that is untraceable.

The current working name of this editor is Fudge.

No comments:

Post a Comment