Thursday, January 23, 2014

FMod - Supporting the Galaxy

Today marks a massively important step in the development of Fudge!

Prompted by the super secret beta tester's suggestion, I went about generalizing the editor to allow Galaxy levels as well. Fortunately, I already had all the things in place from FMod, so I just needed an interface to provide the same, well, interface. At first, I had this grand idea of an abstract superclass handling the similar IO, but that shortly become a pain and I went back to a simple interface. Getting ready for Galaxy also required a system for managing the bazillion "default" files and displaying the right drop-down file name options in the Gather window.

The first problem I encountered with that was the EGA header pointing to a null chunk in the middle of the tiles, signifying an empty or all-black tile. That didn't stop FMod from trying to read a blank chunk and causing all kinds of exceptions. All that needed to be done was add a check to see if the chunk was nothing before trying to pull a tile out of it, and if not, use an empty one.

So yes, Fudge supports Galaxy now. Next up, I need to add a zoom function and make Keen 6 graphics not cause a crash (the EGA header produced by tedsetup has a few extra bytes that FMod thinks are another chunk).

No comments:

Post a Comment