Saturday, January 4, 2014

FMod - Put It Back

I learned a little bit more about Huffman compression and the dictionaries involved there today. I determined that my way of reading the dictionary is flawed and results in the strange mangled bit-backwards values I encountered yesterday. I found a lower-level guide to reading Huffman dictionaries, which I will mess with tomorrow. Unfortunately, I might not get to use my nice generic recursive binary tree class.

Continuing to ignore the massive issue of putting stuff in an actually compressed format, I decided to keep going and write the Galaxy graphics writer. Given the documents I acquired yesterday and the reader code I wrote based on them, getting the first draft down was easy. Of course, it didn't work the first time. I had mis-renamed one of the mask plane variables after adapting it from the unmasked version. There was also an issue with my byte math when trying to write the locations of chunks to the EGAHEAD, but that was also easily resolved. Keen still can't read an EGAGRAPH written by FMod, but XVI32 says I'm close - there's something wrong with the length of something starting at the fourth or fifth chunk.

No comments:

Post a Comment