Wednesday, June 3, 2015

FMod - Small Improvements

Today I continued working on the v2.6.1 update to Abiathar. I remembered that the pulse mode checkbox in the status bar did not have its text aligned with the text of the labels in the status bar. I fiddled with Padding properties until I got that text in the right place; it needed to be 4 pixels lower than the default.

I added a configuration option that controls the visibility of the plane name labels. When they are not visible, the graphics-drawing panels gain that little bit of height back. Those plane state labels now have a background that lights up when their plane is active, each with a different color (shade of blue) that makes it easy to tell at a glance what planes are active.

Showing the new plane name labels
There had been some confusion in the community as to whether Lone Editing actually does anything. It does, but it only does things when the tile palette is switched, most easily done with the 7-9 keys. To make its workingness more obvious, I made it disable all planes except the plane whose palette was last viewed when it initially enabled.

I noticed a performance issue (very slow re-render) with tile palette graphics that are updated on mouse movement. Strangely, it only seems to be a problem when Simultaneous Tileset is on, and it only applies to the tile palette. This is super weird because it's more or less the same code path that's used to render in all of those situations. I even broke out Visual Studio's awesome performance profiling tools, but I still couldn't figure out why that one case was so slow. After some minimally effective flailing, I think I improved it a little, but not a lot, but it's not super noticeable/important anyway, so I'll deal with it later only if it presents itself as a more serious problem.

A crash occurred if the extreme left edge (as in the first pixel (not tile) in the row) was clicked in the tile palette. That's fixed now.

Finally, I started writing a new textual introduction to Abiathar to help new users get up to speed.

No comments:

Post a Comment