Saturday, June 13, 2015

Office 2016 Works on Windows 10

Two days ago, I had a rather inconvenient experience with the Office 2016 preview. I did, however, continue trying to make it work - they wouldn't have released it if it didn't work at all.

My first plan was to throw it onto a Windows 10 VM, and that required getting the latest build. One 3GB download and half an hour of installation time later, I had a very nice Win10 virtual machine. I then installed the Office 2016 preview, the trial version, just as before.

This time, when the installer finished, there was an animation above the finishing button. Clicking on that button closed the window correctly without any errors being thrown in my face. I went to launch Word and... it worked! I activated it with the product key given on the webpage, and a little banner indicating the trial-version-ness of the product appeared. I was then able to use Word just as usual.

The only useful difference I've noticed so far - I haven't messed with it much - is the presence of a "what do you want to do?" text box that grants access to all of Word's features when you type a few keywords about what you want to do. It's kind of like searching for settings in Windows 8, except that it seems to actually work.

It also somehow knew who I was and signed me into OneDrive and Office automatically. That was a little creepy. (I'm guessing it looked at the Microsoft account I was signed into the computer as.)

So, I guess the Office 2016 preview only works on Windows 10?

No comments:

Post a Comment