Thursday, March 6, 2014

FMod - Extensible Profiles

While sitting in biology class listening to the teacher talk about citing in APA format (which I already knew how to do), I remembered that I had never tried to use Abiathar on NetKeen levels. NetKeen is a fan-made hack of Keen 5 that allows an in-game duel over TCP/IP, using slightly changed formats of everything.

Loading its stuff failed miserably (because of slight differences in layout, especially in the graphics), so I started adding a "Netkeen" option to the Dependency Gatherer. However, there are so many versions and sub-episodes of Netkeen that it became really awful to try and support them all. In fact, I never did get it working.

Instead, I went to implement a totally re-designed method of storing which episode the levels are from. Now, the config file stores all kinds of information about the possible episodes, which I'm now calling "profiles" because you can have multiple config sets for each game. The Dependency Collector uses it, the IO code was tweaked to support it, and a few helper methods were added or changed to include this new feature!

No comments:

Post a Comment