Thursday, March 13, 2014

Revitalizing the Beowulf RPG

Last semester, I made a SupaChat Server snap-in that manages an RPG somewhat related to Beowulf. Its presentation was not as spectacular as I had hoped; the extreme WiFi lag caused a lot of dropped connections. Since the teacher wants us to play it again in class tomorrow (we have a free end-of-quarter day), I tried to fix it up today.

First, there were a few issues left over from the move to SCS2. Namely, it parsed messages totally wrong and couldn't understand when people left the game. Most of the bugs were pretty easy to fix, but one required a change to the server application - I forgot to inform services of the full user ID of a joining user!

Since this all happened on very short notice, I didn't add any more features to the game. I did test pretty much everything, and it works, so that's good. The thread safety I applied to the server should help quite a bit with stability. Hopefully, everything will go well!

No comments:

Post a Comment