Saturday, March 22, 2014

FMod - Inspectors

When I spend time making a level, compile it, and run it in the game only to find that it causes a crash, I am very sad. I'm sure this makes other people very sad as well. Therefore, to solve the problem of depression, I am adding inspectors to Abiathar that will examine resources and spit out a list of issues that may cause bad things to happen if they are loaded into the game.

Yesterday, I added an inspection mode to the Tile Property Modifier. When the user presses the I key, it will, starting at the beginning of the tileset, find the first tileinfo-related problem and ask to display the offending tile's properties in the dialog. The user can choose to deal with the issue, continue the inspection, or cancel the inspection. When the end of the tileset is reached without issue, it displays a very affirming dialog box. The TPM inspection mode looks for broken animation loops, animations to null tiles, animations to outside the tileset, and animation collisions.

Today, I started a Level Inspector tool that will share a lot of internal processing with an upcoming resource counting tool. It will check for issues with level size, scroll blocks, animation collisions, sprite memory usage, and tile cache. To make it (and the upcoming counter tool) work, I need a Mindbelt-esque script file to define what the various infoplane tiles do. I have worked out a somewhat complicated system for managing that, but I still need to write the default config entries.

No comments:

Post a Comment